Some quotes from the television program:
PROFESSOR HELEN EBAUGH (Dept. of Sociology, University of Houston; Author of “The Gülen Movement”): When Fethullah Gülen began preaching in the late ‘60s and early ‘70s in Turkey, his message was we don’t need more madrassas. We need schools that would promote science and math and secular subjects, and his contention was that one can be modern and one can be scientific and still be a good Muslim....
WILLIAM MARTIN (Senior Fellow, James Baker Institute at Rice University): I think it’s fair to say that Islam has had difficulty in coming to terms with modernity, and in that I think that the Gülen movement offers a much more positive picture of what Islam can be....
MARTIN: Gülen has always emphasized education, and that really lies at the core of this movement. To be a good Muslim meant to be well educated, and to be a good Muslim who participated in modernity meant to be conversant and well educated in science, math, and technology....
SEVERSON: Kimse Yok Mu and in the US Helping Hands contribute millions of dollars in humanitarian aid each year. Professor Ebaugh says in Turkey Gülen urged businessmen to grow their businesses and give a part of their earnings, as much as a third, to support humanitarian aid and education....[CONTINUES]
Full transcript: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/episodes/january-21-2011/the-glen-movement/7949/
SEE ALSO :
- Press & Media - Washington Post, NY Times, Wall Street Journal, The Economist, Foreign Policy, The New Republic, Prospect, PBS TV, NPR Radio, The Age, Forbes, LA Times, Reuters
- The Necessity of Interfaith Dialogue by Fethullah Gulen
- A Movement Originating Its Own Models by Fethullah Gulen
- Mevlana Jalal al-Din Rumi by Fethullah Gulen
- BOOKS by Fethullah Gulen and on the Gulen Movemen
- PBS 'Religion & Ethics' : The Gulen Movement aired on US public television last Sunday
- Honorary President (F.Gulen) commended by resolution passed by Texas Senate
- Gülen movement challenges Islamophobia, contributes to peace
- Fethullah Gulen: Following in the Footsteps of Rumi by Thomas Michel
- 'Gülen movement makes Turkey more noticeable'
- Greek broadcaster praises contributions of Gülen movement
- Civic engagement, success and the Gülen movement
- VIDEO - Peace Through Education and Dialogue